The rules of poker (Texas poker rules) is information about playing the most popular type of poker, which includes a description of the game, the list and order of actions at the table, the seniority of poker combinations, how the winner is determined and how the pot is divided.
After reading this article, you yourself can easily play poker and explain the rules to others. So all you need to do to set up a home poker game, play in online casinos or start playing online is to study the material on this page carefully. We have tried to explain how to play poker as clear as possible with pictures, videos and examples which you can find on our site.
How to play poker: instructions for beginners
Poker is played at one table by several people (a minimum of two, a maximum of ten). A standard card deck of 52 cards is played. The goal of the game is to get as many chips/money as possible; to lose as little as possible. The number of hands is not limited.
During the game a player has the right to leave the table, the game will continue, the cards will not be dealt to him only in cash games. In tournaments, if the player withdrew, he is still obliged to put blinds/antes, and his cards will be automatically passed.
In tournament poker, the game will go on until the winners are determined. In cash games, everyone plays as much as they want.
How many cards are dealt in poker?
Two cards are allocated to each person. No one sees them except those who have them. Then five common cards are laid on the table, with three being laid first and then one more each. To understand how to play poker, you first need to memorize the combinations and their seniority:
- Royal Flush, also known as a Royal Straight Flush or Royal Flush, is the oldest and rarest combination of five cards of the same suit from 10 to an Ace (in other words, it is the oldest straight flush or the oldest straight of the same suit).
- Straight-flush is a combination of five cards of the same suit in order, or in other words, a one-card straight.
- Four of a kind – 4 cards of the same rank (for example, A♥A♠A♣A♦, 6♦6♣6♠6♥, Q♥Q♦Q♣Q♠ etc.).
- Full House is a combination of a pair of cards of the same rank and a trio of cards of another rank at the same time (pair + set in one combination). Full House seniority is determined by the three cards it contains.
- Flush – 5 cards of the same suit.
- Straight – The 5 cards in order (e.g., 2-3-4-5-6 or 5-6-7-8-9 or 9-10-J-Q-K).
- Set/Triple/Trips (Three of a Kind) – Three cards of the same rank.
- Two Pairs is a combination that contains two pairs of cards of the same rank at the same time.
- Pair is 2 cards of the same rank (same cards of different suits).
- The highest card is the weakest hand. If a player has none of the above combinations, his combination is the highest ranked card, which is determined by the highest ranked card in the player’s card set. If several players don’t have any combination – the winner is determined by the highest card.
- Also it is necessary to consider Kicker – it is a card which is not a part of the poker hand, but determines the winner in case if the players have similar combinations. For example, one player has AQ, the other player has A10, and they put A-J-8-2-J on the table. Both players have two pair combinations (AA-JJ), but the first player has a queen and the second has a 10, so the first player wins the deal. If a king had been placed on the table instead of an 8 or 2, it would have been the kicker for both players, and they would have split the pot.
The rules of poker are not difficult to learn if you know the seniority of cards and the actions available to players on each street, namely:
- Bet (bet) – to bet.
- Call – to call, i.e. to call back exactly the same amount as the opponents (or opponents) have bet.
- Raise – to raise (to bet more than the previous player(s))
- Fold – To fold a hand and refuse to participate in the deal.
- Check or Skip is available to a player who has already placed a Bet and when no one else has raised. This action means you do not add any Chips to the Pot. On preflop, there are mandatory bets (blinds) that must be called in order to stay in the game. On other streets, if all players check, you’ll have the option to reveal the next card for free
- Reraise (3-bet) – an increase of a bet after a Raise
Where to play online poker games
Don’t forget to follow the rules of bankroll management so that the game does not cause financial troubles. It’s easy to learn the rules of poker for beginners. And you’re probably already wondering, “How much money can I make at poker?”
We’ve prepared an up-to-date material for you, detailing strategies and ways to make money. On site you can find useful information about poker games, so that it brings you profit and pleasure.